Urban Survival Day 43 – Common Poisons

Posted: April 5, 2013 in Survival/Self Defense
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Having severe gluten intolerance, I’m very familiar with ingesting the equivalent of poison.  Ingesting food and chemicals that your body cannot digest can cause anything from mild stomach problems to severe illness and even death.

43)  Beware Common Poisons

We’ve all seen the labels on things like bleach and detergent:  Keep away from children.  These products are very  harmful if ingested and as a result you need to be extra careful having it around children.  But what about the other products in your home?  What are some other things you may not have thought were poisonous?

In The Bathroom:  Things like nail polish remover, mouthwash, and shampoo can also be dangerous.  Many “personal care products” have a good bit of alcohol in them and as a result are dangerous if swallowed.

In The Garage:  “Pesticides, paints, paint thinners and removers, fuel, and oil are all dangerous to inhale or swallow”.  Those are pretty obvious of course, but you should also be careful around things like automobile coolant (aka antifreeze) and windshield washer solvent.  These products are brightly colored and some have a sweet smell to them but they are in no way safe.  In fact, we’ve used antifreeze to poison opossums that we had around our home (the stuff is very dangerous).

In The Kitchen And Pantry:  Raw and undercooked food can certainly cause problems, but did you know that “uncooked beans also warrant caution”?  Eating beans that are not cooked can cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.

Inside Electronics:  Have you ever gone to replace some batteries and found some green stuff on the contacts?  This is caused by the chemicals in the batteries reacting.  Batteries are definitely harmful if swallowed and you should be careful around children.  Watch batteries are small and may look similar to pills or vitamins in a child’s eyes and swallowing them could lead to life-threatening problems.

Its important that every home have a poison control number located near (or stored in) the phone.  In the event you or one of your family members ingest something toxic, you’ll want to get assistance as soon as possible to avoid major problems.  Luckily I was a good child and never stuck things in my mouth.  I never got poisoned, but I know people who have and it was terrible for them.

Have you ever been poisoned by food or other products?  Were you hospitalized or was it something small that you could take care of one your own?

To find out about food warnings and recalls click below:
United States
Canada

**  Thanks to OldSchool for bringing the above info to my attention  **

Advertisements
Comments
  1. Oldschool says:

    food poisoning can kill as well

    • Yea, my step mom had food poisoning years ago. She was in the hospital for almost a week. They said she came very close to dying from it. So you’re absolutely right, it certainly can kill.

  2. Oldschool says:

    sorry just one more common poison – bad water

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walkerton_Tragedy

  3. […] Urban Survival Day 43 – Common Poisons […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s