Sadly, today’s update is essentially just a slight variation of the previous two. Yet another bug out bag. We’ve covered a bag for your home, one for the office, and now we get one for the car. Worse yet is that there is still one more tip in this series. I promise there is better content later on, we just gotta cover the basics I suppose.
3) Gear Up With a To-Go Bug out Bag
“Since most of us evacuate in our cars, it’s a good idea to keep this bag in your trunk, along with crucial road safety items”. Here’s what they think you need to keep in your car:
- Energy bars, trail mix, and a couple of separately packaged, ready-to-eat meals
- Several bottles of water, a filter, and water-purification tablets
- Tent and sleeping bag
- Fire striker, basic lighter, and tinder
- One entire change of clothing (pants, shirt, socks, underwear, gloves, hat, windbreaker, and poncho)
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- Knife and spork
- Military-grade can opener
- Heavy cord, snare wire, and fishing lures
- Battery-operated radio
- Battery-operated, hand cranked, or solar-powered cell phone charger
- First aid kit and manual
- Sanitation and hygiene items, such as toilet paper, soap, and a small towel
- Special needs items, such as medications, eyeglasses, contact lens solutions, and hearing aid batteries
- Signal mirror and whistle
- Any car safety items, such as a spare tire, a tire iron, jumper cables, a windshield scraper, and hazard flares, plus and needed winter items (small collapsible shovel, tire chains, and a bag of kitty litter).
This is about the only area of prepping that I have under control. My car is a safe haven for whatever might come my way. The only thing I don’t have from the list above is a “military-grade can opener”. In addition, I keep travel sized versions of chess and checkers, as well as a deck of cards. Sometimes you just need a little break from all the apocalyptic terror. After all, maintaining one’s sanity is essential to survival.
What do you keep in your car?
If you want to buy this book to have on hand, or to skip ahead of us, you can buy it HERE (or any other store that sells books really).